Friday, April 08, 2005

Recipes - Keema

When I first began cooking for myself my father suggested making Keema, a spiced, minced meat with can be used to stuff peppers, breads, samosas, biryanis, and other Indian delicacies. The dish is very easy to make and also very tasty. My father gave me a basic recipe, and I have also studied many other recipes which I have altered over the years to come up with what I think is the perfect Keema. Serve with Basmati Rice.

2 tablespoons of oil or ghee (ghee is clarified butter)
1 onion peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped or crushed
1 stick of cinnamon
6 cardamom pods
2 black cardamom pods (optional)
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 lb lean minced beef or lamb
1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of chili powder (or to taste) you can also substitute fresh chilies here.
2 teaspoons coriander
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 pint of plain unsweetened yogurt or 8 oz of chopped tomatoes
4 oz frozen peas (optional)
Salt to taste


Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes

Heat the oil or ghee over a medium flame in a large pan (I usually use a large sauté pan) when the oil is hot, add the whole spices; when they begin to sizzle and pop, add the onion and sauté until they start to turn light brown. Add the garlic and let it sauté for about 1 minute. Then add the ground spices, and little water.

Now add the minced meat and break it up in the pan stirring continually to brown the meat. I usually beat the yogurt before adding it to the pan to keep it from separating add only about a tablespoon at a time and stir it into the mixture. Add the peas and salt, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home