Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Italian Meatballs

This recipe is for my friend Sue who seems to love Italian food as much as I do.

I love Italian food, and have eaten in Italian restaurants all over the world not to mention in Italy. I have tried many meatballs, but my aunt makes the best ones I have ever had. This recipe is based on hers, but I have adapted it slightly to my taste, I recommend that you adapt it for yours.

2 lbs ground beef (see note)
3 eggs
3 cloves of garlic crushed
3/4 cup Grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
2 handfuls of dried parsley parsley
handful of fresh basil
2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
Bread crumbs from 6 slices of white bread crusts removed (rub between hands)

Cut crusts from bread and cut into cruton like pieces, then rub those pieces in between the palms of your hands, they will break into tiny crumbs. Mix remaining ingredients together in a mixing bowl seperate pieces out and roll into balls about the size of a golf ball (or larger if you like). Set balls aside onto waxed paper.

Saute in olive oil over medium heat until brown on all sides. I like to add some marinara sauce to the meatballs once they have browned turn the heat to low and allow to cook for about 15 minutes. The meatballs can also be poached in water instead of sauteed. Serve with spagetti or your favorite pasta and extra marinara sauce.

Note: I used extra lean beef, because the meat is heavily seasoned it is full of flavor, and the egg and bread bind the balls together. You can use beef, pork, veal, turkey, chicken or a combination to find what suits your taste best.

13 Comments:

At 12:55 AM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

thank-you Neel, what a lovely thought, will definately try this out when Mark comes home, he's away in Scotland, but he loves meatballs

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Neel said...

I hope you enjoy it. My best to Mark, what is he doing up there? My mum is in Lancashire right now, we have a home in a small village near Wigan. My mother is English, that is why I am always making references to England. I'm sure I will end up telling you more, but its my favorite place in the world and I am trying to find a way to come and live there.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

England's lovely except for the weather, Mark had to stay away for work, we both hate it but he's back now, great recipee, thanks again

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Russell Ragsdale said...

Neel, great recipe! I'll have to modify it a bit for use in Kazakhstan but will start working with it now. Thanks!

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Sue, agreed, but I dont mind the rain. Thanks very much!

Russell, thank you. I hope you are able to use it on your menu.

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Russell Ragsdale said...

Thanks Neel! Panadas are pretty popular here. I like meatballs so I'll work with this one at home before it goes on any menu! Bon appetite!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Russell Ragsdale said...

Neel, mind if I put up a link on my blog?

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Did you say you ate pandas, no wonder they're in short supply. Neel I hope you're no where near the storms, I'm geographically dyslexic as well

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Pallavi said...

all that cheese but then i guess Italian food is not Italian if there is no cheese :)

www.bubblingbrooks.com/blog

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Neel said...

Russell, really pandas? Yes, please link me, I will do the same.

Sue, thats fine about the geography. I am at the opposite corner of the country so I am fine thank you.

Pallavi, you dont have to put the cheese in it if you dont want. I am on my way to your blog now.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

So glad to hear from you, and that you're alright

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Sue hardy-Dawson said...

Moosaka would be good, great to know you're ok

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Lyrically speaking said...

Ooooooooooh yummmmy, sounds good, I love me some pasta so this is a great recipe, thanks for sharing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home